Wednesday 30 December 2015

12 BLOGS of CHRISTMAS: Day 6

This year we added something new as a regular feature to our church noticesheet.

I suspect most people didn't even spot it, but although small, it performs a very important function.

What is it?

A 3D barcode!

If you are one of the 80% of people in the UK who own a smartphone you will probably be familiar with 3D barcodes already (or QR codes as they're also known). The idea is that you point your smartphone's camera at it and it sends you to a website. In our case, the church's website:  www.woodgreenchurch.co.uk

But it struck me recently that as a follower of Jesus, I am called to do the same thing as a 3D barcode.

Barcodes exist to point people to something else. They're inconspicuous. Blink and you miss them. They're never on the front of the packet, they're always hidden on the back or the side. You never see a barcode spotlighted. Barcodes are humble servants. They point you to something much more significant and important and full of meaning.

And that's what I'm called to do as a follower of Jesus.

My job is to point people to something - someone - else. Someone far more significant, important and full of meaning. My job is not to draw attention to myself, my achievements, my greatness or my 'glory'. My job is to be a 3D barcode.

John the Baptist understood this. He understood that he was NOT the light and that his job was to point others to THE light.

There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. (John 1:6-8)

John's purpose was to point others to the light of the world - to Jesus.

He once said of Jesus: 
'He must become greater; I must become less.’ (John 3:30)
And as disciple of Jesus, that should be myattitude as well. My job is to make sure others see Jesus. My job is to point people to the source eternal joy, hope and life.

My job is to be a 3D barcode.