Sunday 16 February 2014

Should a Christian fast?


At our Sunday evening service today I spoke  on the subject of fasting. We've been doing a series of talks on prayer based on Jesus' teaching in Matthew 6 and the task of speaking on verses 16-18 fell to me.

When you fast, do not look sombre as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 

Do Jesus' words here mean that fasting is something every Christian should do?

As I prepared, I realised this is a more controversial issue among Christians than I had at first appreciated. Bible-believing Christians have different views on this subject. Books have been written about it. Sermons have been preached on it. Movements have been based on it.

It also became apparent that there was no way I was going to be able to tackle the subject adequately in a Sunday evening sermon. 

So, initially for my own benefit, but now also for those who want to explore the issue further, I've put my own conclusions into a briefing paper. There's a link for this below and you are welcome to download and read it. 

The first half of the paper is a fuller version of the talk I gave on Sunday evening, which is an overview - an attempt at a biblical theology if you like - of fasting in the Bible. The second half of the paper explores some of the questions this raises and nuances the conclusion I arrived at a little more.

You can download the briefing paper: 'Should a Christian Fast?' HERE.


DIRECT LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/swd5s9xl7txutg4/Should%20a%20Christian%20Fast_RLacey_Feb2014.pdf