Saturday 2 February 2013

Brazil: Homeward Bound



Tonight I am packing to come home.

This is because Peter had his op this morning and is now in recovery mode.

The day started early at 6am, as every day has this week. Jason and Andrea picked me up from my digs in the guest apartment attached to Brad and Melissa's house. We arrived at the hospital to relieve Brad Jr who had spent the night sleeping in Peter's room. He told us Peter had been taken down to surgery at 6.30am.

We managed to find the corridor outside the operating theatre. Although we weren't allowed to get close, he was able to wave at us as he waited to be wheeled in.

We grabbed a coffee from the hospital cafe and then returned to the operating theatre corridor.

A nurse informed us that Peter had gone into surgery and that it would be several hours before we could see him again.

We therefore decided to get a bit of much needed fresh air and pop into the centre of Manaus to see the local artisans market and pick up a few souveneirs.



Our hearts were with Peter, so we got back to the hospital about the time we'd been told we might be able to see him.

As we arrived at the operating theatre corridor we saw the apparatus that had been used to keep Peter's leg in traction on the floor outside (see photo at the top of this post). We cheered for joy!

It was all the confirmation we needed that the op had been a success. A friendly nurse who had been helping with the operation confirmed that it had 'gone perfectly'.

We decided the most important thing was for Peter to have a translator and so Jason volunteed to scrub up and don a gown and funny hat to see Peter in post-op.



After an x-ray to confirm the success of the operation, Peter was wheeled upstairs to his old room and attended to by some really helpful nurses.

The sense of relief was palpable.

I felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders. There were smiles all round. We gathered around Peter's bed and gave thanks to God together.

To celebrate, Peter opened a packet of chocolate buttons we had been saving for the occasion.

6 days after he fell getting out of the shower at Ãlvaraes, Peter is now on the road to recovery.

After discussing it with Peter, I have therefore rescheduled my original return flights and will return to the UK tomorrow.

Part of the reason for this is because it has been almost impossible to arrange new or extended travel insurance for me now that we are in Brazil and have gone beyond our original return date.

However Peter also has a superb support network of Portuguese-speaking friends here now. Andrea and Jason, Brad and Melissa, supported by the leadership at Dom Pedro church, have been wonderful and have assured me that they will look after him when I go.

There are willing volunteers lined up to accompany Peter back to the UK, and Global Response (the medical insurance company) have assured me that they will fly Peter back business class with wheelchair transfers and transport to and from the airports at either end.

I am therefore packing with a great sense of excitement tonight.

'Home' is a wonderful word. I am really looking forward to seeing Carolyn and the children again. They have been incredibly selfless and understanding while I have been away, but I am conscious that the stress of the last few days and the uncertainty surrounding my return has not been easy for them. I'm looking forward to a few hugs!

But the book will only be closed on this trip when Peter is safely home as well.

It will be much easier for me to coordinate that from the UK. I will continue to liaise with Global Response and the hope is that he will be ready to travel by the middle of next week.

Thank you for your prayers, keep praying!